When Doug and Vanessa found out they were having a little girl, I had asked Vanessa what colors her nursery were going to be and if she had any fabrics she liked. She emailed me four or five fabrics, with Alexander Henry's "Starling" fabric being one of them. She also had told me that of all of them, the "Starling" fabric was her favorite. As you may remember, before I found out I was having Jack, this same fabric had been my favorite, but in a different colorway. I couldn't believe that we had liked the same fabric and I was really excited to make a quilt using it. I ordered the fabric right away, fearing it would be gone if I hesitated since it is an older print. I started looking at quilt patterns, then thought, I wonder how Vanessa is going to incorporate this into her bedding? I wondered if she was going to have someone make it for her, then I thought that I would offer to make the bedding for her. I told her that if she bought the fabric, I would sew it for her. She jumped at the offer. I gulped and realized how many sewing hours I had agreed too, but was also excited because I was finally sewing for a GIRL. When we went on our vacation together in June, we picked our fabrics. I finally got down to sewing this week and I am thrilled with how the bedding turned out. I can't wait to ship it to her.
While I have been sewing this bedding, I have also been developing a pattern on how to make it. It is in the early rough stages, but this was a good run through to make sure everything was accurate. I have a page of scribbles, notes, and revisions, but hopefully I'll get it together soon. If I ever sew another crib bedding set, I'll be really happy that I made this pattern. Trying to discern my scribbles from last time was rather difficult.