I tackled another sewing project today. I had been itching to get my hands on some of Anna Maria Horner's voile. I ordered some a couple of weeks ago and it came in on Thursday. It feels amazing! It is also not too sheer and has a wonderful drape. I would recommend sewing it with a needle for finer fabrics. Anyway, I bought Simplicity pattern 2594.
I sewed a muslin mock up first. It was HUGE. I looked at the pattern and saw that it gave SEVEN inches of ease. No wonder! I cut it down significantly, but I also cut off my seam allowances. I don't know what I was thinking. Despite the seemingly major mistake, it came out alright.
I had to give it more ease in the hips so I added slits on the sides, but I think the top looks fine.
The pattern seems to either have crappy directions so that it can fall into the "easy" category, or there are mistakes (particularly step #17). I'm glad that I have tried other patterns before because these directions were poor. I think one could mostly surmise what needs to happen with the pattern pieces and do a better job without following the directions. I think it would be fun to try this one again and include my seam allowances this time!