I have been wanting to sew a dress for myself for a while, but couldn't decide on anything. I found several Cynthia Rowley patterns on Simplicity's website that I really liked and I kept coming back to them. On Saturday, I finally took the plunge and bought my pattern.
I started with a muslin mock up so that I could get the fit right. I'm really glad I did. It looked like a balloon-y sack when I finished it. I brought the waist band up by shortening the bodice and I took in the side seems a few inches (on the bodice only). I also took 2 inches off the largest part of the of the width of the ruffle. As much as I loved the pockets, I didn't want to add bulk to my hips so sadly, I omitted them.
I'm really happy with this dress and its fit. I really enjoyed sewing it, especially because of my new machine. It just makes everything better. I'm also pleased with the finishing details that I used on this dress like french seams. I also conquered my zipper fear and put my first invisible zipper into this dress. I found a great tutorial online that made it so much easier. Now I just need to conquer my fear of sewing with knits. I think this pattern was easy to follow and I would really recommend it to anyone, with the suggestion to sew a mock up first to check for fit.