I tackled the next step, which was more difficult than the first. Amy Butler gives no pictures of the interior of the bag and I couldn't figure out what in the world her directions meant. Neither could Grandma Net, the master seamstress. She and I decided to sew together the pocket "tube" that was suggested, then place it in the bag and pleat and sew to make the pockets how I thought they should fit. (I also luckily found a picture of the interior of the bag on someone's blog on the internet.) This idea suited me well because I never can seem to follow a pattern in its entirety. Below is a picture of the interior.
My last trial was the straps. I decided that I didn't like that there were no embellishments on this bag. I thought the bag would look better with the straps being attached with wooden rings. I went to my garage and found some wooden curtain rings that I am not using and converted them into purse rings. I then sewed the straps. To my chagrin, they were much to short. I had to start over and sew new straps. The second set turned out just right. I am now waiting on handbag feet to place on the bottom. I had to order them since no fabric store in town has any. Once those arrive, I can attach them and sew in the lining. I will then have what is shaping up to be a pretty terrific bag. My mom also got me a button to attach to the clasp. This bag measures 20" across the top and 13" across the bottom.
Here are pictures of the finished product and the dimensions I used.
- bottom panel 5" x 14"
- long panel 8" x 19"
- side panel 5" x 12 1/2"
- side pocket 7" x 8"
- Cut 3 1/2" off main panel sides when folded (so it will be 7" total)
- Cut 3" off main panel bottom
If you wish to add rings to the straps like I did, you will need to cut straps that are 3"x 26" long.
I also removed the cell phone pocket because I thought it broke up the line of the bag. Lastly, when placing the fusible fleece over the interfacing on the exterior pieces, it was my experience that the fusible fleece would not stick to the interfacing. I had to baste the fleece in place.