Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Amy Butler's Modern Diaper Bag Part II

I've had several requests for the dimensions I used for the diaper bag.  Here are pictures of the finished product and the dimensions I used.
  • bottom panel 5" x 14"
  • long panel 8" x 19"
  • side panel 5" x 12 1/2"
  • side pocket 7" x 8"
  • Cut 3 1/2" off main panel sides when folded (so it will be 7" total)
  • Cut 3" off main panel bottom
If you wish to add rings to the straps like I did, you will need to cut straps that are 3"x 26" long.

I also removed the cell phone pocket because I thought it broke up the line of the bag.  Lastly, when placing the fusible fleece over the interfacing on the exterior pieces, it was my experience that the fusible fleece would not stick to the interfacing.  I had to baste the fleece in place.

Good luck!





7 comments:

  1. Wow, very cute! I'm quite impressed and inspired to learn how to sew. Alli

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing and inspiring. I think I want to look for sewing classes. it looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't do any other trimming than what I told you in the email. I hope it turns out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, I really want to try this!

    Is today the day you find out what you are having?! EEK! Can't wait to hear the results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you posted this! I am taking a class on how to sew this bag next week, but the original pattern is just TOO big for me. Is there anything I need to know to make it the size you have pictured other than what you listed? This is such a wonderful help! leslieharris@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I made this bag too! Mine turned out great in the end but I had problems with her directions on the part where you sew and then pull the fabric through. My straps were stuck inside. I had to seam rip everything and then finish the bag another way. Do you have any tips for me when I get to this point. I tried twice and the same thing happened! I am getting ready to sew this bag again for someone else and would love for it to go smooth this time!!!

    Thanks for any help!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, I am so glad to find that your handles were sandwiched in the middle between the lining and the bag. The same thing happened to me. I wrote to someone on their website and she hasn't had that complaint yet. Could you write Dianne Barcus [dianneb@amybutlerdesign.com] about your experience? Then they might post a correction on Amy's website.

    ReplyDelete