Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dress in a Day

A while back, when Joann's was running a pattern sale, I picked up several patterns, particularly the Cynthia Rowley ones.

I knew I liked them, but wasn't sure how they'd look on me since I'm a pear shape, and a big girl, and a shift typically isn't particularly flattering. This week, I decided to give it a try. For those of you who sew, but also don't fit into one pattern size like me, you can mark your size for the bust, waist, and hips, then draw a new line to create a pattern that will fit you. This is what I did, and I was pleasantly surprised at how the dress turned out.


I also omitted the ruffle and added several inches to the bottom so it would be long enough for me. I really like the dark purple fabric and it is the softest cotton sateen. I looked through the fabric at Joann's forever to find it. Poor Ryan finally laid on the floor and said, "I don't think I feel so good, my tummy hurts. Mommy, I'm hungry!" (Malisa, Julie, does this sound familiar?) Anyway, I like it and think it will be great to wear now, but also later with some tights, a sweater, and a scarf when it cools off.

6 comments:

  1. So pretty and you look great in it!

    Come to Portland and sew me clothes while our boys play together! :o)

    Alli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dress looks great, but poor Ryan. I definitely know how he feels. Has to lay on the floor and feign sickness to get to leave (and/or eat).
    The dress is super stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my favorite dress so far! Perfect fabric...our poor kids and the time they have to spend in fabric stores!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so cute and trendy! I love that you can pull that together and it looks good! When I decide to sew outfits....sometimes my ideas just dont p[ull together the way yours do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The CAO & The Queen BeeAugust 16, 2010 at 11:18 AM

    It was so great to see you guys on Saturday!! I wish we could have stayed and gotten all caught up with you guys!! You'll have to come up to the cabin with us for a quiet weekend.... Hey I love your dress and I meant to tell you that on Saturday - great job!!

    ReplyDelete