Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Going to the Vet

Last Friday, Rita, being the ferocious little dog that she is, went out to chase some birds at my grandma's house. She came back limping. Phil knew I'd be worried because of Rita's previous limp and subsequent surgery in January, so he called and told me before I even had a chance to see the poor girl. Regardless of the warning, I have been worried ever since, and have thought that she probably did the same thing to the other leg.

Today was the day of reckoning and we went to the vet. Ryan asked what we would see at the vet so I told him there would be lots of animals at the vet and they would all be waiting to go see the doctor. He wanted to know if he could see an elephant today. I had to let him know that the vet we were seeing really only specialized in dogs and cats. He was happy with that for a while and talked about petting different dogs and cats when we arrived. He was quiet for a while, then asked if Rita would get a sucker from the doctor. I had to laugh and tell him no. He asked the receptionist again about the suckers when we got there. He was able to get a coloring book and crayons for himself, which made him really happy.

Unfortunately, Rita did indeed tear a ligament in her knee yet again, and will require a surgery next Wednesday. I think the poor dog needs to wear doggy knee braces from now on. She is turning out to be one expensive, but loved, little dog. As Ryan says, "Poor Rita Baby."

4 comments:

  1. You know, Rita is adding more fuel to John's current mantra of "Dogs cost too much money"...Maybe he'll overlook this once he has a child who puts in a doggy request :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see an elephant at the zoo! Hilarious. Ryan is funny.

    And I agree with him, 'poor Rita baby.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. some vets do have treats for the dogs though...thats kinda like a sucker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Rita. Do they make doggie wheel chairs? I guess a wagon would do and I'm sure Ryan would love pulling her around in it.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete